View Single Post
Old 04-23-21, 09:16 AM
kwandtke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653 View Post
Better fit and finish; Cheaper racks tend to user cheaper, heavier steel tubes. Better racks are powdercoated or have thicker, tougher paint. You'll also see more ease of adjustment (which can be important if you have multiple, different sized bikes) Things like SS or cad-plated hardware, as opposed to plain steel. Wheel holders will get nylon ratchet straps instead of velcro.

The better brands usually have more fold up / fold away features as well, which let you access the trunk more easily when there's bikes on it, and / or fold closer to the car when it's empty.

That said, I had a Hollywood / Swagman of the design you're looking at that stayed on my car 9 months out of the year. I bought it used, and had it for about 6 years, its advantage was it's simplicity, It was so basic, that there wasn't much to go wrong with it. A little Kroil on the hardware, and some spray grease in the pivots every spring; No complaints here.
Thanks Ironfish .. I think I knowwhat you mean. I have a trunk mnt Thule platform and I love it .. but it's trunk mount and cannot stay on all the time (or for long periods) .. I appreciate how nice that one is .. but ya .. long and short I don't see myelf buying one new .. just can't justify $600 for the amount of riding I do. I guess I have to consider my age so a rack that will outlive me while neat .. is not needed. Thanks again