View Single Post
Old 04-26-21, 11:54 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
60 psi ok for 28mm tires?

I know there is no definitive answer to this but I'd like your input nonetheless...

I weigh 155lbs, bike is around 17lbs (probably less but haven't checked). I ride on tarmac only (dry or wet) and use 28mm Continental Gatorskins (yeah I know some hate 'em - I think they are fine for my needs) with Mavic Open Pro rims.

I used to ride at max pressure until reading on this very forum how lower pressures can help ride quality. Well the lower pressures certainly have. I have found that if I run 60psi on the front and 70psi on the rear I get excellent traction, comfort and no pinch flats (knock on wood). (most importantly, the bike isn't twitchy on fast downhills like it usually is at 110psi).

So, am I asking for trouble at these lowish pressures? I don't think its possible for the tire to dislodge from the rim as it is friggin' hard to remove the tires from the rim in the first place but that is one of my concerns

Thanks for your insight and/or recommendations