Old 04-27-21, 10:36 AM
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,140 Posts
I've used a HR monitor since I got my Edge 500 back circa 2009 - 2010.

I started to get all caught up in the overthinking it stuff and tedium of analyzing the tiniest thing. Thankfully that passed quickly. Just set your zones. Note which zones you can stay in and ride all day. Note how quick you tire and can't maintain a pace in the zones you can't maintain all day. Then you can estimate how much time you might last when you put in extra effort to climb or sprint. That's about it.

Though setting your zones to LTHR/FTHR is the better way to set them IMO. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/learn/...setting-zones/ Having your zones set to some standard allows us to discuss them and compare efforts more meaningfully.

You mentioned something that makes me wonder if your doctor was concerned about you going hard. Or was he just saying you don't need to run your HR constantly at your maximum HR.

Normally running your heart at max HR isn't an issue. You won't do it long, you'll just have to stop and huff and puff for a while... long before whatever goal or finish line you wanted to reach.

So if the doctor wasn't clear whether there is an actual problem that prevents you from getting near max HR for a moment or two, then find out.

I don't focus on HR much while riding anymore. I'll glance at it, but only to compare what it says to my perceived effort. Generally I just go by perceived effort during the ride and look at my HR closer after the ride. Sometimes I'll make an effort to try a higher perceived effort for certain segments of future rides and see if that tires me out too much.

Worst thing you can do IMO, is train yourself to only ride a particular HR. Then you never get better.
Likes For Iride01: