View Single Post
Old 04-30-21, 01:27 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rtkitters View Post
Thanks for the response! Just thinking a bit more about this option - let's say I buy a random 8 speed cassette. The one I see online that I could get quickly is an 11-28t Shimano. My bike is an 8sp 11-34t. It sounds like what you are saying is that I could get the wheel-off trainer (kickr core), install the 11-28t Shimano, and then there wouldn't be an issue with my putting my bike on it even though it currently has an 11-34 cassette? I was worried there could be a compatibility issue with the chain not fitting properly on the 11-28. I guess I don't really understand "adjust the in-game difficulty ... lower gearing". Could you explain a little bit more for a newb? Thanks for the vote of confidence about taking the wheel off - that's what I was thinking too, people do it all the time so I should be able to teach myself to do it and no biggie.
Your chain will be fine. Indoors there's not much downside if it's slightly longer than it needs to be. Only if you had larger cassette on the trainer would you risk damage by crosschaining big-big.

ZwiftInsider explains what the difficulty setting means much better than I could: https://zwiftinsider.com/trainer-dif...y-granny-gear/