Old 05-05-21, 03:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
The big takeaway from all these posts should be “it depends.” What your tubeless experience will look like depends on your rim tire combo. It also depends on your tools, your experience level, and whether you go by the book or like jimmying sh*t around.

My advice would be to gear up if it’s financially possible. Get a 5-6gal compressor, get a good inflator head like the Park Pro, get some good tire levers like Pedro’s or a bead jack like the Kool Stop, get an extra roll of tubeless tape in the correct width, get a large bottle of good sealant like Panaracer SealSmart, and get a clamp style bike stand like the Bike Hand CyclePro or even better, a wheel holder like the Park WH1.

If you’re thinking that’s basically a pro shop setup, yeah, it kind of is, but speaking as someone who has been through the good and the bad with a variety of road tubeless rims and tires for about eight years and currently has five pairs on the road, I find having the right tools for the job essential to completing the job without driving myself crazy with frustration.

My other piece of advice based on my experience trying various methods is to forgo trying to inject sealant through the valve stem, and to just break and pull 1/3 of the bead, pour the stuff in, reseat and reinflate the tire. Sealants have gotten more dense and more chunky— which is good for cut sealing— and it’s easy to get a syringe which is too small an either inadequate to give a good mix of particulate and fluid, or to get jammed up and not work at all. I’ve not seen a good syringe at all, to be honest, and those weird, filler mcgizmos on Orange Seal bottles have been useless to me as well. I avoided pouring sealant across the bead because it was hard to work with— I didn’t have a wheel holder— and because it was hard to inflate— I had a lousy inflator head, and an old, noisy compressor…before it broke and I dinked around with dump tanks before buying a nice, ultraquiet compressor. In the case of sealant, having the right tools not only makes the job easier, it improves performance because I’m getting better mixed sealant in the tire.

Try the methods which others outlined upthread and see what works for you. I’ e never sun-warmed my tires, bit hey, who knows what Earthly delights I’ve been missing out on?
Likes For chaadster: