Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
It slipped my mind, but I was meaning to ask you guys about those. I had the page opened up earlier today and was checking to see if anyone local carried them. Any idea if they're hookless or hooked? Can't really tell by looking at the pictures.

And a side question for you or anyone else that may care to answer. How big a difference is there in feel between the 24 point engagement on the Bontrager and, say, the 66 point engagement on something like the Firecrest Zipp's? I wonder if it's a noticeable difference. I was looking into a pair of Onyx Vesper's earlier today and the thought of instant engagement sent me down this rabbit hole.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems as though they're "slightly hooked."
You've mentioned the Zipp 303s a couple times. Makes me wonder if you've changed your shopping criteria? These are 45mm deep and typically sell for over $2k for the wheelset.

Points of engagement has a quite minor benefit IMO. I have 48 of them now in current wheelset, which makes for a noisier hub, but performance-wise it's not a huge impact. If you're involved with a lot of competitive sprinting it can be useful, or I think there's more utility in gravel/MTB environments having slightly more instant engagement.