View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 06:55 AM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You've mentioned the Zipp 303s a couple times. Makes me wonder if you've changed your shopping criteria? These are 45mm deep and typically sell for over $2k for the wheelset.

Points of engagement has a quite minor benefit IMO. I have 48 of them now in current wheelset, which makes for a noisier hub, but performance-wise it's not a huge impact. If you're involved with a lot of competitive sprinting it can be useful, or I think there's more utility in gravel/MTB environments having slightly more instant engagement.
You're right, I did. I was trying to convince myself that 45mm wouldn't be a problem, since it didn't seem as though I had many options beyond building a custom wheelset. I think the Bontrager should be good, though. Outside of feel, which I'll determine once I ride them, they tick off practically every box. The rim depth, the rim brake compatibility, the price and the warranty is a definite bonus. And though I didn't mention it, I'm glad that they're hooked, because I'm assuming they'll be compatible with the GP5000 TL's. One guy in the reviews section on the Trek site did have an issue with losing 30+ PSI overnight, but I'm hopeful that was just a one-off event and not a known issue with this particular wheelset.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder and the help.

Originally Posted by primov8
I had them for about 3-4 months. They were solid, more than a stiff enough wheelset for my 190-200 lb weight. I sold my Shamal Ultras C17 after putting miles on the Kinkin wheelset because it just felt so similar in ride characteristics. Spun up smoothly and this being the first time I’ve had a wheelset with Bitex hubs, it was definitely a nice surprise considering the inexpensive costs.

I actually have another PWB build arriving, hopefully by the end of the month, early June for my SBC all-road.
I went with the same Kinlins (24/28), asymmetric for disc, WI hubs, Sapim Strong J-spokes, Sapim brass nipples and tubeless.
Gotcha! Thanks much for the breakdown and enjoy your new set in good health.