View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 09:02 PM
cartesian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Generally it's not best to grease the spindle taper, a finger wipe which does leave a sort of skin oil is what I was taught decades ago and have done since. Not that the greases tapers would produce a noise.

Did you apply a film of grease on the cartridge's outer surfaces that snug into the (usually) LH cup/ring?

Noises are tricky to track and can be emitted far from the source in hollow structures. I've seen wheel QR skewers making noise that riders thought were the bars or BB. So to with seat rails or post/rail clamps. Cannondale had some bikes that used a shim in the top of the seat tube that creaked when dry of lube. Specialized had tube end miters that creaked on the head tubes in the unwelded interiors.

When you finially find the source please post where it was for others to learn by. Andy
I did not grease the BB cartridge where it inserts into the cups. I suppose that could be it. However, the bike was making this sound before I replaced the BB. It's the reason I discovered the original BB was pitted.

Greasing spindles is a matter of opinion. Some say it's not necessary. I've always lightly greased the spindle with an emphasis on lightly. Basically a thin film or finger wipe.

My other thought was that it could be the handlebars because I get the sound when I'm torquing the bike for acceleration. If I'm up to speed and stomp on the pedals in straight line I don't get the creak.

I'll look into greasing the BB cartridge and let the forum know if I figure it out.