View Single Post
Old 02-21-06, 01:42 PM
fatchance

Bikes: 1985 Ross Signature 294S, 2001 LeMond Zurich, 2001 & 2006 LeMond Poprads, and a bunch of 1980s and 1990s MTBs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread. Hi all, first post here

I have a Ross Signature 294S that I bought slightly used in 1985, pretty much all original except for the handlebar wrap and saddle. I think it's the 1984 model, but not certain. Nice bike with nearly full Campy Triomphe gruppo (Suntour freewheel). I know Ross offered at least one model above the 294S around that time. At some point I possessed the full 1985(?) Ross catalog, but sadly got rid of it. I did keep the 294S section, though - I scanned it in and will try attaching it here.

In 1985-1986 I worked at a small shop in Michigan building Ross bikes, mostly mountain bikes. Pretty great job for a bike-crazy teenager . I wanted one of the Ross mountain bikes badly but was really happy just to get the 294S on a payment plan through the shop as it was all I could afford. I put so many miles on that bike in the 80s! Now I have a LeMond Zurich that sees much more action, but I still take out the Ross once in a while.

I'll have to take some pictures of the 294S and put them up somewhere. I also have a couple of old Ross mountian bike racing posters from the mid-80s. IIRC there was an MTB race that Ross sponsored in the east - can't recall the name of it, though I'm sure someone here will know (edit - it was the New England Fat Tire 3-Day Stage Race). As someone mentioned there was a Ross-sponsored MTB team, I think they are pictured racing in one of the posters (I haven't looked at the posters in a long time!). I'll try to get pictures of those up too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ross_signature_294S.jpg (98.8 KB, 698 views)

Last edited by fatchance; 02-21-06 at 10:47 PM. Reason: replaced Ross MTB race name