Old 05-08-21, 08:21 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Does Anyone Know How to Build/True Campy Wheels?

So I have a set of Campy Proton wheels and I'm basically trying to learn how to true the rear wheel and, yeah, it's going about as well and you'd expect....I've read a bunch of stuff but nothing ever seems to work in real life compared to what I've read.

So, the basics here:

Campy Proton rear wheel. Asymmetric and a pain in the ass. Drive side spokes are 1.8 round and non drive are 1.5. I've read that the proper spoke tension of the drive side is 130-150 kgf which seems high but that's what I've found. Not a G3 lacing but radial on the non drive side and cross 2 on the drive side.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is with the dish. No matter what I do, I can't really get it to change. I've completely loosened the spokes and started from scratch but the dish never changes even when cranking the tension from one side to the other. I assume this wheel, although "asymmetric," is still centered with regard to the dish and hub.

I can't even tell which side should be tighter to move the dish one way as it barely moves no matter what and obviously it's a good deal uncentered.

Any ideas or help appreciated.