View Single Post
Old 05-09-21, 10:38 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '15 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
I have switched over to mostly gravel & paved trails due to the drivers in the St Louis area.
I am looking for lower gears from my current setup. Ultegra 8000 50/34 & 11/32 cassette with GS derailleur on my Gunnar Hpyer-X disc frame.
I have a 11/34 Cassette on its way but thinking I may be better off going 11/42 and adding the GRX RX812 derailleur. Can I use my Ultegra compact crank and FD and GRX RD?
Thoughts?
Thoughts? Are you getting ready to switch this to a 1x setup? That RD is spec'd with a 31T total capacity, and a maximum low cog of 42t. An 11-42 cassette is 31t, leaving no specified room for a FD...the RD will be unable to wrap the chain on that chains with an additional 16t between the 50 and 34 chainrings.

You could probably get away with a SRAM 11-36 cassette with your current RD, with some b-screw adjustment. You'd be outside the spec'd capacity, but plenty of folks claim they can make it work. But, when you get into the territory of matching an 11-42 cassette with a 50-34 chainset, you're gonna have issues getting it to work, if you can ever get it to work.

So, I used to go to St Louis for work a couple of times a year, and I always took a bike, and I rode a bunch of the bike paths (and up and down the Missouri and Mississipi rivers), and I gotta be honest, I can't figure out why you think you need a gear lower than 34/32 or 34/34. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but the best off road bike riding on that side of the river (and the levee paths on the Illinois side) is flat.

Last edited by Badger6; 05-09-21 at 10:44 AM.