Old 05-09-21, 01:53 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Bike is in rideable shape!

I managed to find a 127mm Shimano UN-300 bottom bracket and an Ultegra braze on front derailleur and the matching adapter clamp. The added benefit of that is that I can fit a chain catcher as well as a Deda dog fang though the current Trivio chain catcher is only designed for regular road doubles so it's too short. A longer one is on its way.
A Bikeforums member made some custom spacers to solve the issue of the 11-speed chain dropping in between the chainrings but those are still making their way across the pond.
Because of that I stick with 48/32 up front for now, as per front derailleur spec, but it looks like a 28T should work too. Really nice and crisp shifting with this derailleur. Perhaps I will switch to a larger 11-40 rear to gain more low-end instead of the front. We'll see.

Yesterday I took the bike on its maiden ride, a 20km ride to my parents' place. Unfortunately it was raining so I put on my rain gear. I do understand now why I have fenders on all of my bikes; the thing was covered in sand from the road.
I definitely need a shorter stem and the brake levers would be better with a slightly higher position. The drops however are really comfortable, a first for me, and the higher handlebar position makes the tops a nice upright place to be.
The tyres... are fine. Maybe I need to run them at a lower pressure (3.5 bar now) or maybe I need to look into some skinwall 42-622 tyres.

To be continued, but for now just some pictures.

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-09-21 at 01:57 PM.