Old 05-09-21, 08:04 PM
Troul 
:D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653 View Post
How is it ‘majorly flawed?’ Because it has a service interval? Making a sophisticated lightweight, responsive bike suspension system *for a reasonable cost* is going to require giving up something somewhere.
If you want it to be ‘eternally maintenance-free’ it’s either going to be super-basic, or super-expensive.

I would posit that, if you want light weight, high performance, then increased maintenance is going to be the cost.

If you want to compare industries, I’m in deepwater oil production. The equipment out here is massively strong, massively expensive, and absolutely cannot fail. Each campaign requires hundreds of hours of testing and preventative maintenance before any asset goes in the water. The main seals on the docking collar are $10k, 100 lb Inconel rings that are good for exactly one use.

So, a once-a-year service on your bikes’ suspension doesn’t seem too unreasonable
The cost is small fish to the bigger catch of planned obsolescence & inconveniences . You probably could buy the inconel rings for that very low rate production machine 10 years after the production ceased. Not likely to be the case for the average suspension fork equipped bicycle. I couldn't even buy my exact color fork 1 year after a new bicycle purchase, nor could I obtain the OEM parts to refurb the old one. Much rather have paid more upfront to not need to service nor deal with those headaches.