View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 03:20 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jesnow
I'm thinking that I'll remove so little material it won't even be detectable on a truing stand. Maybe one with a gauge. If I even make it to 0.2 mm material removed without solving the problem I'll stop and declare failure and reap all the "I told you so"'s in this group.

If that's more than 15cm of circumference I'd be really surprised. I tried out measuring thickness of the whole rim, carbon fairing and all, and it's surprisingly consistent, 60.04+/-2mm everywhere I measured. So if I measure at several points in the area I'm sanding, and go slowly, I can control the amount sanded pretty carefully, and keep material removed to a minimum.

That means of course there will only be one place on the rim I can put the tire on, and only on one side, but I can live with that. I'll put a sticker of some kind on it so I can find it.
This gets weirder every time I read it. I thought it a bad idea but figured I'd be entertained reading the "why it's a bad idea" posts. Then I learned about the KoolStop Jack and learned something valuable... a thumbs up for Bike Forums. But now back here in the sturm und drang of this bizarre thread I learn that you actually want to sand your rim out of round... but only on one side and just where it "gets tight."

Crom help us.
Likes For Jbarcs: