Old 05-11-21, 02:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4165 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,321 Posts
Yup, the XOSS G+ is a great buy if you can get it cheaper than the $50 list price. I have no real complaints about mine.

BTW, if you want to save some money, don't bother with a speed sensor. For example, XOSS and many others make earth induction sensors that are convertible between use as speed sensors on the wheel hub or cadence sensors on the crank arm. Usually the conversion is done by removing and replacing the coin battery while checking for the LED color change (blue and red).

I've compared many rides using GPS only and various speed sensors. There's rarely any significant difference. I'm wondering whether my phone apps (usually Wahoo Fitness) and XOSS G+ really do use data from the speed sensor, or whether they always default to GPS. But there's rarely any significant difference between the GPS and speed sensor data.

So I usually put the XOSS speed/cadence sensor on the crank arm for checking my cadence.

I also have a couple of older Wahoo speed/cadence sensors. These are ANT+ only, with both speed and cadence sensors wired together, with the unit zip-tied to the chainstay. Magnets are attached to the wheel and crank arm. This tends to be a bit more reliable than the XOSS brand earth induction sensor in cadence mode, which occasionally shows wildly inaccurate cadence (no way am I churning faster than 160 rpm).

The only time I pay attention to cadence is during deliberate workout drills on the indoor trainer, alternating between spinning 90 rpm or faster for aerobic workouts, and mashing 60 rpm or slower to work the legs. But on outdoor rides I seldom look at the cadence readout.

I used to average 90 rpm but as I got older (63 now) and lost aerobic capacity I realized I was more efficient at a slower cadence. So now I average 75 rpm. And instead of spinning up climbs and gassing out while preserving the legs, I usually stand and stomp up our many short, steep climbs around 50-60 rpm. My legs are usually close to getting cooked by the peak, but my lungs aren't burning and I'm not gasping for breath.

BTW, the XOSS has an audible alarm that can be set, via the app, to sound a beeping alert when we exceed our preset heart rate. I find that helpful for warning me when I'm approaching my maximum heart rate, so I know that I can maintain that effort for only 30-60 seconds before burning out. My max HR is 173 and I set the alarm for 160 bpm.