Old 05-11-21, 03:10 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox View Post
So sad - glad it served you well.

Is / was NC State in the ACCC with UVA, West Virginia, VA Tech, etc.? I seem to remember they were - I raced very briefly for UVA when I was in grad school in the late 1990s. Then officiated a few races in the early 2000s, including the conference championships on that lovely but tough Virginia Tech course.
Yep, sure was. I raced 2004-2008, but I only got to race that VT course once, they stopped holding it on that course starting ~2005. That 4 mile climb at the end was rough.

Originally Posted by growlerdinky View Post
Maybe the beginning of the next era? If it were mine, I would have the frame restored, and it would get a fresh groupset and wheels. 20 more years on the green machine. Its completely lovely.
I've definitely considered it, but its a little rusty all over. I could have it blasted and the HT weld repaired, but I think it might make better wall art. And as sad as this sounds, most of my new bikes are objectively better than the Lemond. Don't get me wrong, the Lemond handled great, rode great and fit me great, but just about every bike I've bought since has been better than the Lemond at some aspect of riding so it hasn't been accumulating the kind of miles it did between 2003 and 2006ish.

Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
You must be imagining that crack as apparently steel frames last forever.
I think it has been reported that titanium does as well.
For what its worth, I've cracked an aluminum frame (Cannondale CAAD8) and a carbon one (Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Hardtail) also

Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
I'm not sure what I love more -- the fact that OP came back after 18 years to update us that the frame had a crack, that someone took the opportunity to call someone else out on their claim from 18 years ago, or that the person who was called out responded to it.

Never change, Bikeforums.
Haha, it is funny. I actually dug this thread up because I was looking to see if I had posted a pic of me in front of the bike shop after I bought it. Apparently its still under warranty, but I was an idiot 16 year old when I bought it. This means that of course I didn't keep the proof of purchase and I have no way of proving that I'm the original owner. That's probably okay though, I think I'd miss this thing like crazy if I had to give it back to the shop.
Likes For Phatman: