Old 05-11-21, 09:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by MakeX
So talked to the store and although they agree that the 105 is better they think the sora version might better for me personally as it doesn't have quick release wheels and will be more firm. I'm 6'2 and was decently built at the start of the whole covid thing and weight a little over 200lbs (91kg). Any thoughts on this? Should a larger sized rider still be fine on quick release/a bit less firmness?
That makes no sense, what do they mean by more firm? So is the Sora bike a thru-axle or just have cheap bolt-on wheels? A disc frame with thru-axle does mean it has a greater potential for future upgrades but experience as taught me that a cheaper frame with upgraded parts still isn't the same bike as those same parts on the higher end frame. I have an old frame that was RSX equipped (Sora before the name was changed) and for sentimental reasons it has been upgraded over the years, it still isn't all that fast.
QR levers will work just fine under a 200lb rider, when I was younger and my road bike had more horizontal dropouts I did put down enough power on a slightly worn skewer to tear the drive side out and bend the rim on the frame, seen others do the same on old bikes. Dropouts have been vertical for a couple decades now and I've never seen a rider rip a wheel out of a vertical dropout and I doubt its possible. The QR doesn't support the rider so weight doesn't matter there either. QR has held firm under some of the most powerful riders in the pro peloton, if they were firm enough for them they'll be firm enough for you. Just remember, rare is the person who says "I wish I owned a cheaper bike", get the nicer one and it'll be a longer while before you need to wish for something nicer.