Old 05-12-21, 06:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by robow View Post
Excellent question. I'm sure the responses will be well thought out and all over the place.

My 2 cents....Keep your daily mileages reasonable, error on the low side at first. Just because you've ridden a century on your lean and mean road bike doesn't equate to riding when fully loaded. This and the fact that you're going to have to ride tomorrow and then the next day and so on..... pace yourself and leave a little in the tank for the next day.
Reminds me of my first short solo tour last november. The first day I wanted to get some mileage in and planned nearly 130km (80 miles) of riding.

That day turned out to be hilly, wet, with a constant headwind and closed down bars, shops and even some supermarkets in all the towns in between. The last 30km (20 miles) were miserable. In the days after I only managed to get 70 km (45 miles) in each day and just changed my course back towards a train station taking me home.
Next time I start with a short 60km (40 miles) day and increase my distance each day until I am adjusted to the long days in the saddle.

Same story with some friends of mine that went hiking in Scotland. They planned 25-30 km (15-20 miles) a day in very rough terrain with a big backpack. Even the fittest of the two of them didn't manage to do that. A lesson was learned that day.

Oh and I too brought way to much stuff. One of my panniers wasn't even opened by the end.
Likes For JaccoW: