Old 05-12-21, 08:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,854 Times in 6,070 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I've been doing rides up Tunitas Creek Road in Half Moon Bay. Nothing quite like it. I love the intensity. You have to stay engaged. Great cardiovascular exercise. I wish I could do that all the time, but I'm a bit far away from it. I'm wondering if any other exercise can simulate riding up a big hill like that? I've thought about the stairmaster, I've thought about trying to turn the resistance up on a stationary bike. Make no mistake. You can't replicate that. But I'm wondering what are some creative ways to replicate it so I can do that kind of intense cardio whenever I want?
If you live in the Bay Area, you MUST have at least a couple 5 minute hills near you, right? For example, for me, just to get to Canada Road is 718 feet of climbing, broken into smaller segments. But I can attack those climbs, riding easier to the next one. Kind of like hill intervals. Not the same as a single long climb, but then, the tough part of Tunitas Creek isn't that long, either. There's that long, long false flat after the steep bit.

For me, living in San Mateo, Tunitas Creek is a long way. But there's Kings Mountain, Old La Honda, or Page Mill, all at least 1300 feet of climbing. When I was younger, I used to go up Kings Mtn, then take 35 to Skylonda, take 84 West to West Old La Honda, climb that, then back down via 84 into Woodside. Doing that helped my climbing ability a lot.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles