KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
You need to cut carbs and increase proteins and fat. Some kind of keto or paleo diet is the only way to permanenet weight loss.
Not true at all.

I've played with my weight over the years and lost 40 lbs and recently 60 lbs at different times. When doing heavy weight lifting I've brought my weight up too on purpose, but now that I'm primarily cycling I'm keeping myself at a lower body weight. All eating reasonably and making sure that I get plenty of carbs to fuel my endurance work.

For most people that want to lose weight and move towards maintaining a healthy and functional body I recommend two steps to start:
  • Eat like an adult. Reasonable portions, eat vegetables, fruit, reduce overly processed foods and plenty of fresh water.
  • Pay attention to thermodynamics. Balance energy in versus energy out.
There are other things that can be done to fine tune and diet can be a real rabbit hole if you really want to go down it,, but the above is all I've used successfully. I eat pretty much what I want and that includes plenty of carbs to fuel the longer distance rides that can really burn the calories.
Likes For KJ43: