View Single Post
Old 05-14-21, 06:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Nice way to rebuild/repurpose an old rigid MTB. The only thing that looks odd to me is the front basket's lower support arms connected to the pannier racks, and how much weight you'll put in the basket. I'm thinking the basket will just be for stashing a few 'daily' items so it won't be carrying a lot of weight. I'm starting to use something similar on my front, a porteur-style rack that I can just lash a bag onto, rather than panniers (my old Novara front panniers are 'ka-put'); I'll see how it works out this fall. Personally I would have kept the larger chainring, but I'm a 'glutton for suffering', plus I prefer pedaling at a lower RPM.
That basket thing gave me some grief at the time. It turned out I could not route the longer stays past the pannier racks.

Originally I built the bike as a gravel grinder so experimented with 1x. It worked and I added the small granny ring as a manual bailout (moving chain by hand). For touring I put the front derailer back on.
Basically it's 1x for normal use. I can shift down into granny but can't shift through the whole cassette because the chain wants to drop and the big ring cuts off the angle (the 42T is where a 32T was in the middle ring spot).

I'm still not entirely happy with the drivetrain. Ideally I want it 1x but also want the wide range needed for touring - without the cost of a rohloff.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-14-21 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet: