Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Recent science on stretching summarized (May 2021):

Stretching science has shown that this extremely popular form of exercise has almost no measurable benefits

Do what you like, but I'm nearly 70, I've been cycling all my life (still doing fast training rides of 2 to 4 hours daily, weather permitting), and I've never stretched. And I'm as flexible as I've ever been or needed to be.
Good article and summary of much of what's currently understood in the area of "stretching." Thank you for the link.

An area with clear benefit: range of motion, either restoration of or creation of. That article mentions it. I've experienced it, through general training and specifically with injury recovery. And know of dancers that clearly developed their required range of motion because of it.

Interesting aspect, range of motion. As we age, many naturally gain increased "stiffness" with an attendant reduction in range of motion. At some point, activities that require a given minimum ROM can run up against such stiffness and lack, thereby causing injury.

With injuries themselves, some injuries can induce a significant limitation on muscular range of motion, and stretching (with general fitness restoration) is one of the very few practical methods of returning to a reasonably performance-oriented ROM.

Aside from that, the article also mentions the one clear situation of first-aid for severe cramping. BTDT, myself, as have many others. Have had severe cramps in calves on a few occasions, after hours upon hours of strenuous activity without any means of stretching throughout; "heavy" targeted stretching at the moment of the cramp turned out to be the only thing that could rapidly counter such cramping. (As the article alludes to.)

As for the rest, a fair argument can be made there's little to no benefit beyond the "feel good" aspect. Hard to say whether blood flow, for example, is somewhat improved via having better-stretched muscles when performing an activity; uncertain what studies of the science of this have been done for athletics and other activities. Hard to say whether recovery rates are somewhat improved, with better-stretched muscles. Particularly in cases of solid (even extreme) tightness or injury. Though, I suspect all of those are true to some extent. The article focuses on what can be medically/scientifically proven. Some things are hard to get at, with such proofs.

All of the warnings in the article about aggressive stretching or certain technique being potentially injury-causing are true. It's funny how in an otherwise fit person that stretching at the "wrong" time or stretching too vigorously before the muscles are warm enough for that level of effort can lead to strain, even injury. But do those same stretches when the muscles are warmed, with an appropriate level of effort, much less risk of such strains/injuries.

Useful activity for those who experience tightening of ROM and need to counter it. Not so much for those who do not. Hard to get at the apparent usefulness, when so many aren't so encumbered by ROM impacts of their activities. I was, during a stint with competitive performance running, back in the day; many of my fellow training buddies and competitors were not. Everyone's different.

For myself, generally, I know that as I've aged I have personally witnessed a decreasing ROM if I fail to regularly stretch (multiple times per day). But then, these days, old injuries have kept me from many of the athletic levels of physical activity that once probably accounted for most of my ROM and certainly for most of my strength and general flexibility. Beyond basic fitness activities (not athletic sport, as such), stretching comprises a good portion of what keeps my ROM what it is and avoids the tightening, stiffening and reduced-ROM that this aging is otherwise producing. I can skip a day or two of vigorous physical activity, but may all the gods have mercy upon me if I skip even one of my stretching sessions, as that's the surest way to get "stoved up" and "no-ROM tight" as I can think of. Funny how that works, with some. Don't know if medical science will ever nail down the exact cause of this. It'd be nice.