rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, about those "studies" that conclude “seniors shouldn’t do strenuous exercise, or they’ll explode!!!”.

They're what is kindly called "controversial".

Excerpts from Master Endurance Athletes and Cardiovascular Controversies, Current Sports Medicine Reports, 2020:

And if that evidence doesn't ease your mind, how about a personal story: Robert Marchand, the world hour record holder for the age group 105+.

I was not referencing elite athletes just the average Joe, like the guy who’s post I quoted. Elites are superhuman compared to weekend athletes, or a bit better, and have amazing cardio/vascular condition. A newbie going out and pushing themself to extremes might jeopardize their health. I feel, and you will no likely disagree, that you were being unnecessarily and needlessly rough on someone who enjoys cycling and would rather be safe than sorry. Moderation, in my opinion, is never a bad thing especially when one is new to a sport. To do otherwise might potentially jeopardize one’s health. I have said all I intend to and will not respond further or try to get in the last word because it just isn’t that important. Have a good ride and a good life.

Likes For rsbob: