Old 05-18-21, 08:41 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by jca2112
New to the forums. New rider (6'4", 350lbs) looking to try out cycling. Starting out with little/no experience -- haven't ridden a bike since I was a little kid. Went to a local bike shop and ended up getting a Trek Verve 2 Disc Lowstep. Question:

Does the correct seat height make it so your toes barely touch the ground?

The guy at the bike shop said the seat was set at the right height. Since I haven't ridden a bike in decades, I'm pretty unsure/unsteady on the bike (since I can't stand with my feet flat on the ground) and it makes me feel like an anxious kid – I assume I will have to re-learn being on the bike? Is this feeling normal?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Pic provided to show where I've been and where I am now. So the left was me 32 years ago, about 225. Middle was 6 years ago about 350. And the right was 2 years ago, about 245. Same bike though, just a lot of changes over the years. Sort of like me... Oh, I'm 6'1"...

I suspect your bike is too small for you if you can touch the ground from the seat. But. I was pretty unsteady on my bikes at my heaviest weight of 378. Even on my indoor trainer I felt I could fall over at any point. And that is a very uncomfortable feeling.

After breaking my back in a cycling crash 10 years ago, I wasn't on a bike for 3 years. This 29er mtb was a gift at a time I needed a boost. But, I didn't feel as top heavy. It certainly boosted my confidence, so I rode from time to time.

3 years ago I got a lot of bad health news, and was up to 378. I chose weight loss surgery as an expedient tool to keep me off insulin, and other meds. Which, worked and put me in a position to be able to stay out of diabetic range, but also got me of my BP and heart meds. And reduced my pressure in my CPAP as well.

For you, I would just ride to get more steady and confident, raise your seat from that point. Your knees will thank you later.