Old 05-19-21, 10:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
If there were inherent virtues in heavy bikes then adding a few 5 lb weights to the bike would make it even better. What is interesting to me is how often folks will worry about saving an ounce with a new saddle but ignore the extra 20 lbs of belly fat or carry around 2 or even 3 water bottles and a 2 lb bike repair kit.

What is also overlooked is the choice provided by the bike manufacturers when it comes to components and saddles on bikes targeted at the casual rider. The heavier bike has cheaper deraillers, cheaper rims, cheaper brakes, and usually poor frame geometry and of course gearing that is wrong. I have seen the days when "race" bikes were built for criterion racers and were terrible for road racers or touring riders. When triathelons became popular it was great as the bikes built for competitors were the best overall for the average club rider or touring cyclist.

I have to laugh when someone thinks $1,000 is expensive for a bike. In college in 1970 the expensive bikes were the Italian ones that cost around $500 which in today's money is roughly $5,000. A lot of fellow riders had such bikes but they did not have cars or trucks to support.

Does bouncing weight really matter?
Likes For woodcraft: