View Single Post
Old 05-20-21, 12:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,002 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
What preventive measures could have been added...just thoughts on safety that I go through after these tragedies...in this case it seems you can only do evasive maneuver to avoid crash...what things can alert to need for evasive maneuver?

- alert devices- garmin varia? maybe 55 mph too fast for it to work or too much traffic on some roadways
I've been using a Varia for about a year now and it is a brilliant safety device. It can easily detect a car at 55 mph or much faster and picks them up from hundreds of metres behind you. It flags up any cars that are going unusually fast in red too so you can give them special attention. It works best in a rural setting where cars come by infrequently, but often at high speed. It would be less useful in an urban setting or very busy road with cars constantly streaming past, but I don't cycle on those sort of roads if I can help it. The rear light is pretty powerful too and can be programmed to flash more rapidly when it detects approaching traffic to help catch the driver's eye.

I wouldn't ride without my Varia now. It's one of those rare expensive gadgets that has easily exceeded my expectations.
Likes For PeteHski: