Old 05-20-21, 04:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Or, take off that rack and install LowRider racks on the fork. They're different with both pluses and minuses.

Pluses - the bike handles very well loaded with a lot of weight, including if you go uphill standing. (Do load them roughly equally or they will tend to steer you toward the heavier bag.) Loaded, they steady the bike's steering a lot. (In my midwest college days, I'd bring extra books to campus just to steady the steering on ice and snow downhill into campus. More work coming home but much better than crashing.) I like that I do not have to step away from the bike to put the jacket I just took off in the pannier. Walking the bike with weight in the bags with one hand is easy and the bike is very well behaved, unlike when rear panniers are heavily loaded. One hand on the stem gives you excellent control of the loaded bike almost everywhere when walking or just holding it upright.

Minuses - bag size is limited because they are substantially lower. Too large and they drag on turns. You do not have a rack you can put stuff like a trunk bag on unless you buy another separate rack. If you carry real weight, run healthily large tires at enough pressure. The LowRider cargo weight is bolted directly to the bike just above the front wheel. You hit potholes and rocks a lot harder, damage rims and blow tires if everything isn't big enough and strong enough plus you are quite limited in how much you can "unweight" the tire in anticipation of a hit. (I run Mavic Open Sport rims and 28c tires. 90 psi. I weigh 155 lbs.)

I put LowRiders on my city bike 40 years ago. Sold from the beginning. Now i have two city bikes, both with LowRiders and one with a rear rack for another set of panniers for the occasional large item. I'm happy to keep the rear racks off my other bikes until I know I need one (which is rarely).

I say LowRider (a trademark of Blackburn and the original) but I've used Jandd (sp) as well. The Jandds are stronger, stiffer and a little more clumsy to use.