Old 02-21-06, 09:19 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svr
Unless the fork leaks or has excessive play between the uppers and lowers, it does not need a rebuild kit. A disassembly and cleaning along with an oil change should make it work like new.

yeah jeff, usually, but not always, you wouldn't really do a rebuild unless it is leaking oil. rarely have i ever changed bushings because i thought there was too much play. they make them so slick these days its not really a problem. usually if i did change them it was because i already had the fork apart for other work and figured if its been 2 seasons or so...why not? they're not usually any more than dust/oil seals. i don't think it necessary that you start looking for o-rings and stuff to replace internally. just do an oil change and clean and lightly grease the seals like others are mentioning.

what is DYI or DIY?

a fork rebuild doesn't quite have to be based on usage as long as it is well maintained. like oil changes. i have never replaced an oil seal just because they were old. this is more or less the type of thing where you don't mess with it if its not broken. to be quite honest i don't really recall visibly seeing wear on bushings either.

maybe its just because i am light and don't put too much wear on my stuff

Last edited by mx_599; 02-21-06 at 09:30 PM.