Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia View Post
Interesting thread. I need some advice myself. I recently bought a nice (slightly) used gravel bike that came with 36T front and a 9-46 rear on 650b wheels with 47mm tires. (In case you are wondering about the 9-46, it's made by e*Thirteen.) The bike has SRAM Rival 11-speed shifters. I ride a lot of long uphills with some pretty steep sections, and even with this configuration I feel like I wouldn't mind a lower gear to be able to raise my cadence.

The seller also threw in the original wheels that came with the bike, which are 700c. I'm going to mount 42mm slicker Rene Herse tires on them for rides that have more pavement and easier gravel. I'm trying to figure out what kind of cassette to put on these wheels.

The other factor is that the bike has an Easton crankset with the Cinch system that makes it very easy to swap chainrings. I already bought a Wolftooth 32T chainring to use for steeper rides, but then I found out the chain was too long and I didn't want to mess around with it until I figure out what I'm doing with the second wheelset.

So, here's the question: what cassette should I buy for the second wheelset that is slightly more road oriented but can still climb big hills, and is there a way that I will be able to mix and match wheels and front chainrings depending on what ride I'm doing without having to re-size the chain?
First off, find what sort of diameter tires your bike was designed for. Whether you stick to 650b or 700c you want to stay close to that diameter, although you can deviate a little bit.

if you for example, use your 32t ring in the front, but use something with less than 42t for the rear cassette, you likely wouldn't need to resize the chain. All depends on how much you're choosing to deviate from whatever setup youve got now.