View Single Post
Old 05-27-21, 01:51 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
Mickmeister I looked up the rear derailleur specification and the Shimano derailleur being used does not have a clutch on the jockey wheel chain tension take up arm. Derailleur bikes are terrible on rough terrain for shifting when hitting bumps. The derailleur manufacturers solved this problem by putting clutches on the jockey wheel tension arm assembly. The clutch does not let the derailleur shift unexpectedly when hitting a bump. An example is the Shimano Shadow MTB derailleurs with clutch. When the clutch is engaged the derailleur will not shift on every bump. Mountain bikes, gravel road bikes, and any bike being used on rough terrain will benefit from this derailleur clutch technology. The shifting can even happen on paved roads if you hit a big enough bump or pothole. I hope this helps you figure out what is going on. If you are going to be riding hard in the rough I would upgrade the rear derailleur to a clutch design. You will be much happier with its performance.
I've got to say I think this is quite unhelpful. None of my bikes have ever had a derailleur with a clutch and I've never had an issue like this, even on my mountain bike. Clutches are for bikes that you expect to take over rough terrain. If the OP is just getting back into cycling after 50 years I doubt he is going over terrain rough enough at a speed to trouble the derailleur. There is clearly something wrong with the set up.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 05-27-21 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Likes For jgwilliams: