View Single Post
Old 05-29-21, 01:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I am an old guy very, very new to biking. Just bought a hybrid and learned how to change a tubed tire. My buddy talked me into buying a used 2016 Trek Domane with tubeless tires. I bought it from a private seller. The tires were flat. They are Presta valves. I had my buddy fill the tires and they seated fine. But there was no indication of any sealant. And I hadn't even heard of sealant until today. At first I thought sealant was used to fix a flat, but now it seems it should be in the tire from the beginning. The tire size is 700 x 25. Any suggestions for type and amount of sealant and how to easily insert it?

Mike
Stans is a popular sealant. Orange and Muc-off are other brands. You should only need about 40 ml per tyre. Easiest way to fill is to use removable valve cores and then just syringe it in through the open valve stem, re-fit the valve core, pump the tyre up, spin the wheel to spread the sealant around the tyre and ride. There are loads of online videos demonstrating the process. Sealant dries out eventually, so best to top it up every 6 months and maybe remove the tyre once a season to scrape out old sealant (if you can be bothered). My tyres are normally worn out by then anyway.