View Single Post
Old 05-30-21, 06:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
100% agree. I don't mess around with anything unless it's truly broken.
I carefully wipe down all my bikes after every ride and fully clean them when they need it. Things I do check:
1. Bolts. Make sure everything is torqued to spec. Don't forget water bottle bolts. I do this every few months. It's not common for me, but I've found stuff can rattle loose on gravel. Especially check the stem bolts.
2. Sealant. I fill it up when I can't hear it sloshing around any more.
3. Brake pads. I pull them out every couple of months just to make sure I have material. I live in a very flat area so my brake pads last forever and I need to ensure I check them.
4. Chain stretch. I have a Pedro's chain checker and keep a stock of all the chains I might need. My chains are inexpensive (I use mostly Ultegra/XT on my bikes), I replace them all the time. (Note: this is yet another reason why I don't wax chains or have some complicated maintenance process...)
5. Freehub mechanism. I have DT Swiss 240s hubs on one of my gravel bikes. About once a year, I'll pull it apart and clean and relube the star ratchet with some special, thin grease that's expressly for this purpose. I don't mess with my other hubs, but the DT Swiss is so easy to overhaul that I take care of it.
6. Tires. I check to see if there's embedded gravel in the rubber after every ride. I dig whatever's in there out with a utility knife. I find stuff all the time.
7. Spoke tension. I check to make sure nothing is coming loose when cleaning the wheels. I've found this to be a problem on cheap OEM wheels. Expensive or aftermarket wheels rarely detension.
8. Pedals: I have Shimano SPDs on all of my gravel bikes. It's super easy to pull them apart and relube the spindles, something I do when the pedal rotates without resistance. It takes at least two years for that to happen, though, so this is a rare service.
9. If you have Shimano mechanical, I would consider replacing your rear derailleur cable once a year regardless of if it's giving you trouble. They tend to shred within the lever body, which can cause them to break during a ride. Also, it's annoying to dig the cable end out of the lever. I no longer have a gravel bike with Shimano mechanical, but I used to and this was a problem.
Great list! Even though I probably should, I don’t actually do any of that stuff; I think the cleaning and inspection catches a lot of that before they become problems on the road. I mean, I’ve been carrying emergency repair tools since the ‘80s, but because they get used so infrequently, I’ve whittled those down, in both array and design, to the most minimal I can stand. Choosing emergency kit has become, for me, more focused on design, lightweight, and pack style than tool functionality!

Maybe I’m just lucky, maybe bike reliability has tremendously improved, or maybe I’m onto a decent maintenance routine…dunno. As I head out for a ride this morning, I only hope that whatever it is, it keeps working!
Likes For chaadster: