View Single Post
Old 05-30-21, 09:14 PM
spilot101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Unless you have an overwhelming reason why you need that extra little bit of savings, then just wait till you need to change tires due to wear.

The differences will be slight for rolling resistance. You might notice that you can use a lower pressure and get a slightly smoother ride with the 28 mm's but I doubt that much either.

Besides, if you change them without even trying the current tires for a couple thousand miles and gather some data then how will you really know if the change was a good change and worth it?
True. Actually, I rode the very same tire for about a year on my previous bike. Then I put the 28 Contis 4 Seasons and realized what difference can the tires make (even though the 4 Seasons are very slow). I've also tried P Zero 4s (25mm) and found them to be more comfortable than the 25mm GTs - which feel rougher.
This is how I've arrived at my original question. There's quite a bit of difference in speed that I've experienced between Conti GT (14w) and the 4 Seasons (19w)... so I asked myself, "is the rr really that big of a actor?", because, quite clearly, I was much faster on the less comfortable and twitchy GTs...But as Dan pointed out (and what I've gathered from my post-post research), the fact that there are other factors at play than just the rolling resistance still holds true. So even though there's not much difference in rr between the GTs and P Zero, I'm pretty sure the comfort here will win out big times... so I went ahead and bought the 28mm P Zeros (and will try to sell the GTs to get some $ back).

Last edited by spilot101; 05-30-21 at 09:20 PM.