Old 06-02-21, 11:31 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I have a Hyundai 2010 Santa Fe SUV. For day rides, both bikes fit in the rear with front wheels off. An old sleeping bag goes between the bikes for padding and to minimize entanglements with pedals. For longer overnights or vacations with the dog, both wheels come off and go into wheel bags, and the bikes sit on top of the luggage with the bagged wheels on top. Small bags for hotel stays are accessible for in and out.

For all trips a painters tan canvas drop cloth covers the cargo. It prevents peeping eyes. I do not use external racks due to the inevitable busy, curious fingers messing with bikes and controls in external racks.

Using the pickup with a locking fiberglass cap is even easier.

In my experience with SUV and station wagons, wagons are easier for bikes. I just saw an Alltrack yesterday and it looks to me to be more spacious than the mid-size SUV,
yes, that’s what I like about the Alltrack! We’re gonna go look at an Audi A4 Allroad later this week, similar size and layout!