Old 06-03-21, 10:55 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielC94 View Post
I'm fairly new to using strava (only started using it last year). The heat map looks like a useful tool to find routes! The way I've usually done it is by finding a destination and then google/street viewing my way there hah!

I've biked once out to Carlisle, taking 225, after taking the minuteman up to Bedford, and then down to Concord via Concord street. From what I remember I much preferred concord street due to the wider shoulder. But I'll have to check out those side roads off 225 you mentioned the next time I bike out there! In fact I'll have to check out all those routes and do more exploring up there!! I think I also heard of a farm/creamery that sells pretty good icecream out by Carlisle so that could be a nice pit stop!

I live in Jamaica Plain so I typically go south to the Blue Hills Reservation, but I love biking North on the minuteman during the fall and stopping in Bedford for a quick bite before continuing on the nice suburban roads.
Strava used to have free route planning but they made it subscriber-only. You can still use RideWithGPS to route-plan based on destinations. What it will do is use road popularity, it just won't show the heat map to you if you're not a paid subscriber. It's not perfect but usually works well. Street view to verify!

Can't talk much about areas south of JP but next time you're out on the Minuteman and beyond, keep these popular spots in the back of your head:
- Revolution Hall in Lexington right on the Minuteman, it's good for food and beer/wine, can recommend it
- Short Stop Cafe at the end of Minuteman in Depot Park - looks new, haven't been, exciting to have something there
- Bedford Farms Ice Cream - past the end of the Minuteman, across from the VW dealership if you're heading on 225W
- Kimball Farm Ice Cream on 225
- The ever-popular Great Brook Farm Creamery
- Ferns in Carlisle
- Haute Coffee in Concord
- Maine Streets Market & Cafe in Concord