Old 06-03-21, 10:58 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Klein Quantum Rebuild

My very first road bike is a 2002 Klein Quantum Custom in a unique color that I have never seen on any other bike on the road. I haven't ridden it in nearly a decade and want to build it up with new/used parts. It is pretty much going to require 100% new parts and I have questions/looking for confirmations. I'm an experienced rider but novice when it comes to the exact details of a bike build. This is just a budget-ish ride for fun so not looking to break the bank.

1. It has a BB6500 bottom bracket and I know those are non-existent these days. Seems like going to a 5500 105 bracket would make more sense than up to the more finicky 7700 DA bracket?
2. Are there limitations to which Shimano groupset I can put on the bike (clearly just looking at mech, no electric)? I am looking for Double 105 or Ultegra as I want pretty much everything to be black (goes well with the gold). I probably would just buy an entire groupset so not too fussed about making sure certain components are compatible. I would also consider a SRAM Force set as I like how it looks.
3. Looking for a used carbon wheelset (fork is aluminum so need extra carbon to help with bumps). If I do go that route, I assume I just need to swap the pads on my brakes and that is it?
4. Will want a new headset as well since the old one is probably toast and I don't want it to be silver. Its just a 1 1/8th threadless so can I just swap that with a new one?
5. It has internal routing and clearly I need all new wires. I have seen Park Tool Kits that help you thread a new wire through with magnets or should I just get those tubes to go along the current wires and thread them through and tape to the frame?
6. It has the old Clamp on FD; is there an easy way to use a braze since most newer sets will go that route? Also is it possible to buy a black clamp to fit with my theme?
7. How can I determine what tire width it will fit? I would like to run 28s so I assume that will be ok?
8. Seatpost/seat/handlebars/stem/wheels/cages seem straightforward so not too concerned there.

Ok I think that is my laundry list of questions so far. Fully anticipate more to pop up as I dive in but wanted to clear a few things up before I start spending any money.

Pic for reference: