Old 06-05-21, 04:55 PM
DBrim

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Locally, this is one of the most popular strava segments, and it is a decent ride, a five mile loop with minimal traffic lights and mostly wide shoulders, other than a few sections of route 3. It's also easily accessible from the Minuteman in Arlington, which means you can throw it onto any ride where you feel like you need more distance: https://www.strava.com/segments/961927

I really liked riding on the North Shore when I lived up there a few years ago. Actually getting there without using the commuter rail or a car from Boston is tricky right now but once the bridge and paving work is done on the Northern Strand trail it will be much simpler, and the network of bike lanes they're installing on the Lynnway after the trail is over connects to some nice riding.

Nahant is fun and quick, some minor hills and some nice views. The bike path on Lynn Shore Drive is more of a glorified sidewalk but it's pretty wide so you can generally get by (it does flood sometimes at high tide). From there you can continue into Swampscott on Rt 129, which can connect you to the Marblehead Rail Trail (okay-ish dirt, I would not attempt on a road bike) or you can just stay on 129. Once you're up in Marblehead there's a ton of options, including the Chandler Hovey lighthouse on Marblehead Neck and loops around the town itself, most of which were quiet a few years ago. Salem has some nice spots too like the dash out to Winter Island.

One of my favorite rides when I lived in Salem was starting at my place and riding up to Rockport, over the 1A bridge into Beverly and then following 127 into Gloucester and then 127A from there to Rockport. A very pretty ride, and generally pretty safe even though it's all on road. From there it's pretty doable to pick up a commuter rail train home.