View Single Post
Old 06-07-21, 10:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
It's not "obviously impossible" to fix a flat on the side of the road without a tube, and in fact, using a plug may be easier...it depends on the nature of the damage, whether the tire is actually flat, or whether there is any sealant.

But yeah, tubeless introduces a whole new host of variables, and it's hard to know which you're going to have in play at any given time. Some combos set up easily, some don't; some issues are easy to fix, some aren't; sometimes you need a lot of tools, sometimes you don't.

It's unwise to enter into tubeless thinking it's easier, because it ain't. I think that with the lastest innertube tech, such as Aerothan and Tubolito, the case for tubeless has become less compelling. Schwalbe's Aerothan, for example, provides lower weight, improved rolling resistance, and higher puncture resistance than conventional butyl tubes. leaving tubeless' only trump card the self-healing thing.

I've got two old American Classic Argent tubeless wheelsets which work a charm with Schwalbe One and Hutchinson Galactik tubeless tires; super easy to get on/of, and they seal up great with AC valves, and Stan's 21mm tape. I've had good luck with Bontrager sealant and am on Panaracer SealSmart this season...so far with good luck.

I have another wheelset, Spinergy GX wrapped in Herse Bon Jon Extralights, which is proving to be a nightmare to set up. I have a pair of Aerothan tubes on hand that I'm about to throw in there if my next round of sealing effort doesn't work. Granted, I didn't have the right size tape this last go-round, so I kinda hacked it by doing two, offset wraps, but needing to keep a bunch of different rim tape on hand for all my various tubeless wheelsets-- five, currently-- is part of the frustration.