Old 02-22-06, 10:53 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
661 has an ankle brace that will assist. I am generally against them as they don't allow your muscles to develop.

Personally I would take on a plyometric routine similar to what basketball players do. Standing jumping two foot, single foot
Box jumps up
Box jumps down
Standard Calf raises however using MASSIVE weight. Calves get worked constantly when you walk, jump, pee etc..., do the opposite when you workout, attack them with loads of weight they aren't used to. Get enough weight on your shoulders so you can only do 8 to 15 TOPS. Massive weight also strains the muscles differently, as well as the tendons and bones. All of which will help get rid of sprains.

In the process you will also develop explosive muscle power (not necessarily strength) which will assist in all aspects of riding.

Also, and this is a the bad note, weak ankles is rarely a muscle thing, I have massive leg strength and size, especially in the calves, and have always had small ankles. I fight with sprains almost constantly. Things have gotten better as I strengthened them, but its a long slow process and you will always suffer from it.