View Single Post
Old 06-09-21, 10:48 AM
Barry2 
LRP=HR

Bikes: Holdsworth 1979 Special, C-dale 1993 MT3000 Tandem & 1996 F700CAD3, Cervelo 2022 R5 & 2018 R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 346 Posts
OK, so I'm free and clear of the Moderna shots.
Power returned to normal reasonably quickly. Resting HR remained high and took a while longer to drop.

My Coach noticed I was having too much fun playing with HR & decent watts, so he increased my cadence from 80rpm to 90rpm. This immediately popped up my HR for a given power.
Reasoning behind the change... low cadence uses different muscle fibers than high cadence. These low cadence fibers tire more quickly than the high cadence variety.
Well I can work with that....

Changed my Rear Derailleur from RD-R8050-SS to the long cage GS version.
This allowed me to swap to 11-34 on the cassette.
I like that!! But more is better.

I knowingly EXCEEDED the Shimano blessed spec's for the RD-R8050-GS and went with a SRAM PG-1170 11-36 cassette.
This does take some care, have a professional advise you and test it.
Getting installation wrong can result in a destroyed Rear Derailleur & wheel.
So I DO NOT recommend this configuration.

I expected to be able to climb hills slower with this configuration.
But that's not what happened. The higher RPM has allowed me to climb faster and tire less doing it...... Who'd-a-thunkit !
How do people learn this stuff without a Coach.

My training plan still keeps me mostly at <138bpm but does allow me to go as fast as I'd like one day per week. Except for the day I tried that at 98F and blew a gasget. I had to call for the SAG wagon (Wife).

I've signed up for two local Metric Centuries and I'm looking forward to further increasing power over 2021.

Barry
Likes For Barry2: