Old 06-10-21, 07:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
More updates. Finally dumped everything - again - in some fresh spirits. Mineral, that is.

The axle had cleaned up fairly well, but when I pulled it out, I realized the peened pin that holds the sun gear on the axle is loose - and so is the sun gear. First time I've seen this. Even the greaseball axle I have in the dip next to it doesn't budge at all.

Unfortunately, said spare axle is too narrow. Fortunately, new 158.8mm AW axles aren't uncommon at all, so I ordered one on FeePay.

Originally Posted by John E
Having worked on a few 3-speeds myself (usually 3x4 or 3x3 hybrids, as mentioned above, but one early version 3-speed coaster), I am enjoying reading your progress report. I also envy your evident abundance of shop space. Mine is tolerable -- I push the cars out the garage, set up for a few-hour session, then put everything back at the end.
Happy to hear you're getting enjoyment from it. I still have the threaded driver put aside for the right project; the current one you see in these photos is off a '48 FW hub from @nlerner.

It's nice to have the space, that's for sure. Only problem is that I'm constantly finding new ways to cram even more into it...and I could still use another toolbox.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-11-21 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For cudak888: