cadteach

Bikes: '87 Trek 560, '88 SR500, '87 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 14 Posts
New wheelset vs rebuild

OK,

I've searched the forums here on this question, but most of the posts I saw were 4 years old or more. I have a set of wheels with Shimano 105 hubs on Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims, and the rims are now shot, pulled thru eyelets and cracking. I am fairly new to cycling, and this is from a bike I bought last summer and rode about 1400 miles total on them.

I noticed they were going out of true and took them to my LBS, but it was too late, they trued the wheel, but one eyelet was already pulling, and another pulled thru and cracks formed within a week.

I would not be trying to rebuild myself, so it would have to be done at a shop. If I did try to rebuild, which rims would I be looking at (32 H, 700C, freewheel), and if I were to buy a new wheelset, which one and where? I know Velomine has or sells sets with Weinmann LP18 or Sun CR18, but I see no description of the hubs used on these, and, though not a high end bike, I would like whatever I do to last enough to make it a few years if possible.

What is the general consensus, new or rebuild, and in either case, where should I source the new stuff from?

Last edited by cadteach; 06-12-21 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Add 700C