View Single Post
Old 06-14-21, 10:05 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
While many of us have been commuting for decades with or without bike lanes, it's no secret that improving safety and access increases the use of bicycles as transportation. One recent study found that in cities where bike infrastructure was added during the pandemic, cycling increased up to 48 percent more than in cities that did not add bike lanes. This European study similarly correlated infrastructure improvement with cycling participation in 2014. Myriad other examples abound.
I am aware of the studies and the need for many people to believe they are safer with the bike lanes. I am against poorly designed bike lanes that lull people into a false sense of security. In the early1980s A friend of mine invited me to a meeting were the public was allowed input on a proposed bike lane. Our recommendations feel on deaf ears and the painted line bike lane with two way bicycle traffic on one side of the road was put out there. They removed it several months later. They found out why it is a bad idea to ride against traffic. I have seen some bicycle infrastructure that I consider acceptable but there is little done to educate people especially motorists as to what and how they are supposed to behave around these facilities.