View Single Post
Old 06-14-21, 07:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
While it's been a long trip from my high of 250 in 2018 I have been making slow but steady progress by simply staying more active and trying to make better choices (no shocking radical life changes that are bound to fail). I hit a low of 213 right after I lost 20 lbs in November from Covid but over half of that came back in short order. Yesterday I hit 209. Jerseys sag so much if I do a longer ride and put anything with weight in the pockets I looks like a middle aged Fred wearing 20 year old kit filled with cookies at a century rest stop and shirts look like tents. Refuse to buy new shorts (fat man thinking - "what's the point I will end up in these again") so the belt is a necessity and turns everything into heavily pleated shorts.

I'd be lying if I said this wasn't important to me but I don't like to celebrate it because it will hurt that much more when it goes the other way.

I share genes with my mom's side of the family. They were ALL large/obese German farmer stock. Its part of why I cycled as a kid (to keep from getting fat) and a lot of why I keep with the sport as an adult. I've been known to let it go every now and then and I prefer to make slow changes when losing. This "current" trend started when my doctor just flat out said, "You're diabetic. We can call you pre-diabetic if it makes you feel any better but you have to lose weight now or this isn't ever going to change."

Maybe not the right thread or forum for this but nice to share it somewhere. Small victories. Now...to get all the way back to my ideal race weight of 168

pics for the helluvit
last weekend.
One of my friends, and one of the fastest club riders I know, is a fluctuator . He's been as high as 300 and as low as 180. He keeps cycling kits and regular clothes in different sizes, even though he's been under 190 for several months.
I've been 260 but that was long ago. I guess my point is for some of us it is a struggle, regardless of bicycling or not. Bicycling and cycling kits just emphasize our excesses.
Congrats on your recent success.