View Single Post
Old 06-15-21, 06:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 152 Posts
I think this could be easily mitigated for the benefit of all. The North Maine Woods gravel roads does not get lumber activity EVERYWHERE and at the same time NOT ALL gravel roads will have logging trucks on them at a given year. They can look at their current year logging plan and identify the logging roads where their trucks will be and mark those as off limits to nonmotorized recreational use. Then publish a simple map (or better hand it over to North Woods stewards) that they can hand out at their checkpoints where people currently PAY for daily access. It is a win / win - they pocket more money from user fees and the biking enthusiasts increase tourist numbers in this economically depraved region.

Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
It's unfortunate that North Maine Woods doesn't allow biking, it's gravel and bikepacking heaven up west and north of Baxter SP, primitive campsites every mile or so. I fully understand that its all private property and they don't want cyclists getting run down by logging trucks, understandable as the trucks tend to haul ass.

There is some exploring to be had in the western Adirondacks, bunch or dirt roads in the Watsons East Triangle region as well as west of Paul Smiths. That's my next area to check out.
Likes For PedalingWalrus: