Old 06-15-21, 03:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Full disclosure, I didn't make it all the way to Charlottesville on Day 2. It hit 94F with fairly high humidity, the last 20 miles or so was a death march for me. I made a new BFF at a country store.

You'll have to take this bag of ice from my cold, dead body, which will be sometime in December. It's too hot still

I had a very difficult time eating dinner, and even breakfast the next morning, so I announced that I might not answer the bell. Hugh gave me an option of starting out on Day 2, and at around mile 20 there was an option to peel off around Orange, ride a few miles to Montpelier (James Madison's estate), cool off, maybe take a tour, and wait for The Wolf (Hugh) to bail me out. After having difficulty keeping up with the gang, I decided discretion was the better part of valor. As I made the turn for Montpelier I saw dozens of restored vintage cars in the visitor's parking lot. Model T's, a Cadillac, 100 year old FIAT, a Renault, Hupmobile, Locomobile, and others. So I had a very C&V day! There were air conditioned rooms to explore, so by the time Hugh pulled up to pick me up (after he and the rest of the gang riding 30 more miles to his house) I was reasonably cooled off. A car ride, a shower and a couple of beers later, I started feeling better.

Hugh was a great capo on this ride, always checking to make sure we regrouped. Doc, Neal and Andrew often slid back to my personal grupetto, most of the time I carried the lanterne rouge.

Last edited by gugie; 06-16-21 at 09:13 AM.