View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 07:59 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by kenski99
I am heading down to Crater Lake to ride from near Ft Klamath to Rim Village, any one with experience of the road above the ranger station about where the road starts the East Rim Drive?
Thanks for any info
Ken Pitman
When are you planning on heading over? You'll be able to drive up to the rim, but I believe the entire rim drive hasn't opened yet. https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
I second the heads up on mosquitos. You should be fine as long as you're moving, but they can swarm you when you stop - especially if you stop in a shady spot out of the wind. I recommend bringing the repellant just in case. The climb from the visitors center to the rim is a steep one. It's a narrow stretch, but the cars will be driving slow so it shouldn't be a hazard. You should get plenty of riding in even without riding all the way around the rim, but you might want to call the visitors center if you want to make sure the rim is open.

Check out Kimball State Recreation Site in the Fort Klamath area.

Have a good ride!