View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 10:04 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
OK, good advice so far. Keep it coming! My thoughts on the suggestions so far:

I don't think removing chainring metal is going to help given where the chain hits would mean removing a lot of metal probably including parts of the teeth.

Adjusting the inner ring inwards with spacers would be difficult given the unusual spacers used with the Ofmega crank, not to mention increasing the risk of dropping the chain into the rather large gap between chainrings.

I will definitely take a look at both the front and rear chainline measurements to see whether adding or moving spacers can bet me a few millimeters.

As far as getting a smaller middle ring (i.e. getting a new crankset), these cranks are so pretty (if you followed my earlier thread on this bike they appear to be pristine and essentially unused) that I'm not that keen on changing them out. That would be a last resort solution.

Interesting thought on using a 9-speed chain. I hadn't thought about that. Are there any issues with that approach? Actually, I'm thinking that the Sedisport chain that is on there may be wider than even standard modern 8-speed chains so just getting a thinner 8-speed might be a possibility (Wipperman Connex chains seem very narrow in my experience).

I don't think the frame was spread, so I'm thinking the alignment is probably fine, though it wouldn't hurt to check using Sheldon's string method.

Last edited by davester; 06-16-21 at 10:12 AM.