View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 10:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Maybe I’m wrong.

But it seems like a lot of stuff like bar rise, types of grips, pedals, wheel size, bar ends, etc. might just be far more personal preference than the magazines let on.

Might make more sense to just try a bunch of stuff. Or go riding with friends and switch between a bunch of bikes for a bit to get ideas.

I’m not making absolute statements. I’m thinking about rewarding myself with a higher end (for me) hard tail for completing my degree in 6 months. Just thinking out loud.
You're spot on - especially at the contact points. Saddle is probably the most important person-fit item, and what works for one person may be torture for another. For me, hands are also a big deal - position, width, lever position, tape/grip feel, etc. I'm less picky about pedals, but shoes need to fit my narrow feet properly, and I've had some that were an issue.

The thin Bontrager Race Lite grips on this bike have been replaced with PNW Loam grips, which are a tapered design and a bit larger diameter. Much better!! (for me, YMMV)