View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 09:27 AM
SirSquishy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike suggestions for 300+ pound rider

Hello, everyone. I'm not proud to say that I currently weigh in at 320 pounds. It's a long story with injuries and other things, but basically I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 190 pounds, close to 10 years ago. My riding style was/is casual. No commuting, no mountain biking, just local streets, park paths, etc. I was riding a Diamondback Wildwood from Dick's Sporting Goods. It's still in the shed, but it would need a thorough tuneup from the local bike shop. It wasn't the highest end bike to begin with, though, and I'm not sure if it'll hold up to my weight.

I've read suggestions here about upgrading the wheels, but I don't know if that advice still applies to someone of my size. I'd hate to spend the money on a tune-up just to have the bike collapse under me. Should I just upgrade to a beefier bike? I appreciate any advice you all would be willing to give. Thank you.

Editing to add: I'm 320, but 5'8". I have short legs. So I probably can't just get a larger frame bike for someone who is taller. It's terrible being short and fat.

Last edited by SirSquishy; 06-17-21 at 09:31 AM.